Monday, December 6, 2010

2nd Year Critique Write Up

Today in class, we were assigned to go to another year's critique session. The critique I was assigned to was 2nd year. The critique was held in the lobby of the studio building, which I thought was a bit weird of a setting for a final critique. Maybe it was the fact that our class critique was in a classroom in a more formal setting. As the critique began there was no introduction of what the project was or what it was about. Instead, it was just one of the students jumping right in to what there project was and how they made it. I think it would have been better for the class to all be prepared and ready to go at the same time as well as give an introductory of what the project really was about. When the students were asked about there project requirements, or rules they could not really respond. In fact, one student said, "I don't really remember what it said, I just know that we had to give ourselves rules to follow." I don't necessarily think they don't know there assignment, but I think they should have thought about the assignment requirements and how they could get it across to the guests at the critique. It would have also been nice to actually have a handout of the final assignment at the critique so we as guests could look at it.

In looking at the way the students were dressed was impressing. They were all very professionally dressed for the most part. This showed that they were serious about their projects and the critique.

As the critique got underway, we were given explanations and details about the projects. During this, I learned that some people worked in groups while others worked individually. I feel that both ways of working could be fun and beneficial. I am looking forward to both ways of working in the future with projects.

A few projects that stood out to me were Weave and Tension Folding and Dune Formations. Weave and Tension Folding was designed by Jasmine Jones individually. Jasmine used aluminum mesh to create her structure. She created this structure by certain rules evolving around her hand and using a threading, tension motion. It was interesting to hear about her process as well as see process pictures on her display drawing. I also found it interesting that she did multiple models of different approaches before coming up with her final. Some of them were randomly constructed and others based off the rules of measurements of the hands. She chose to make her structure out of a metal like material because of its reflective properties. This was decided because she wanted the structure to reflect light off the water below the structure, etc. I could see here project really being produced in a big city.



The other project I enjoyed seeing was Dune Formations. This project was a group project designed by Justin McNair, Blakeni Walls, and Sharece Ramos. They had a clear acrylic structure between city buildings. This structures form was like the form of movement of a dune of sand. Their concept was to abstractly show natural patterns these dunes create due to the wind. Their idea was to create a spatial experience through light motions and the contrasts of luminosity and silhouettes. The way to do this was to make a structure that would form weaves and shadows onto the earths surface. I enjoyed learning that they constructed the model using a laser cutter, oven, and skewer. It took them around 3 1/2 hours to make. I could also see their project in a big city reproduced to a big scale.



I feel privileged to have attended this critique and talk to 2nd year students because it gives me an idea as to where i am headed and what will be expected of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment